One of the most important safety components of your LP-gas storage vessel is the internal relief valve system. LP-gas relief valves are intended to open only under the excessive pressure conditions indicated below. The container pressure will get high enough to open relief valves under the following conditions:
- Filling containers not purged of air
- Overfilled container exposed to heat, which includes radiant heat (sun).
- Use of an incorrect product such as propane in a container with relief valve set for butane pressures (Low set pressure for service)
- All containers exposed to extreme heat (fire).
- Excessive pressures created during filling
Typically relief valves should be inspected each time the container is filled but no less than once a year. If there is any doubt about the condition of the valve, it must be replaced.
Under normal conditions, the useful safe service life of a pressure relief valve is 10 years from the original date of manufacture. However, the safe useful life of the valve may be shortened and replacement required in less than 10 years depending on the environment in which the valve lives. Inspection and maintenance of pressure relief valves is very important.
TransTech Energy maintains specialized equipment to safely flare off your tanks and quickly replace your internal pressure relief valves. We will also replace the relief valves on your Multiport assemblies, allowing you to avoid the potential loss of your entire tank's content through mishandling of this procedure.
Call us today to speak with one of our NGL, LPG storage/multiport & internal pressure relief valve experts at: (888) 206-4563